into the light

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A piece of the past

While putting my books up into the shelves in the living room (finally) a piece of paper fell from a book I had not touched for a while. It was a note, small business card size, probably from a gift given long ago. What did the mysterious note say?
"I want to thank you for completing me.
I thank God every day for bringing you into my life.
I will love you for ever.
XXOOO
Ron"

The exact wording was a bit more than what I have just written, but that is the gist of the message.
I have found similar cards, kept for keepsakes, tucked into drawers, and other assorted hiding places. Always the 'I will love you forever" and  "God has blessed me" being included.
I guess then that it was not God who helped him make his decision to end our relationship. God had done a great job of bringing us together, as it stated several times on the card. So..who did influence him?  I believe it was the other side, the one Not being God.

It does not throw me into a tearful breakdown to read them now, but just 3-4 weeks ago there would have been a good crying jag happening. Instead, I felt just sad..bitter sweet memories, that bring a sigh. I will likely find other cards like this, though in the last 2 years I was mostly an after thought for Valentines day, or other celebratory days. He always said he forgot, or remembered too late..but the real reason was he did not want to celebrate them with me...that did not stop me from recognizing him on those days. I should have read the unwritten signs.

Today's song dedication:  I saw the Sign...Ace of Base